Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Nude cedars


nude cedars, originally uploaded by Lezzles.

Definitely no time for a blog tonight but here's a photo instead. It's of nude cedars, or maybe naked cedars, I'm translating from the French. They're trees that don't actually have any leaves and apparently they're pretty rare. (If anyone knows how they do photosynthesis, please tell me) We saw some last week during our holidays. That was a terrible lie. I didn't actually see them because I stayed in the car with E who had fallen asleep. Oh and since you ask, no the article is not coming along nicely and the beautiful Ikea kitchen is still in bits on the floor.

5 comments:

Lesley said...

Isn't the blogosphere wonderful? All that information within half an hour of putting the post up! Thank you very much labs & sticks, now I know a lot more about those knees.

Anonymous said...

Chauve ...... nude? I like the translation! They may not have leaves but they do have needles, just like Larches, which are also deciduous conifers.
Don't think they are rare in their place of origin ...
(post from bore of the month)

Lesley said...

Thanks (non-boring) Deborah too. I just looked it up. Apparently the latin name is Taxodium distichum and the knees oxygenate the tree in winter. Do they exist in GB? I'd certainly never seen anything like it before, (in fact I still haven't.)

Anonymous said...

They are native to North America and now mostly in SE states according to all those websites! I suppose they must have a few planted at Kew but don't remember ever seeing any in GB.
Anyone who likes interesting trees better go to the jardin public ..... there is an amazing tree called Melia azederach (I had a lot of trouble indentifying it) lots of common names including Bead tree and Persian lilac. It is near the huge cypress on the lawn by the jardin botanique building, not the pond side. It is very tall and is covered in fabulous mauve sweet smelling blossom when in bloom, which I think is now!

Sarolta said...

Lovely picture, Lesley. And these comments are really instructive. Cheers.

Confinement

Being confined indoors most of the day, just the four of us, is reminding me of the days when my children were wee and most of our weekends ...